The National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) is Canada's legislated, publicly accessible inventory of pollutant releases (to air, water and land), disposals and transfers for recycling. According to its home page, it is a key resource for:
- identifying pollution prevention priorities;
- supporting the assessment and risk management of chemicals, and air quality modelling;
- helping develop targeted regulations for reducing releases of toxic substances and air pollutants;
- encouraging actions to reduce the release of pollutants into the environment; and
- improving public understanding.